24.1.07

THE GREATEST EVER?

Mark Williams, today launching the Welsh Open in Newport, was so impressed by Ronnie O'Sullivan's performance in winning the Saga Insurance Masters last Sunday that he suggested it might be the greatest ever performance in a snooker final.

"He was incredible," Williams said. "It's probably as good as anyone's ever played. I think only Stephen Hendry beating Ken Doherty 10-5 [in the 1994 UK Championship final when Hendry compiled seven centuries] can match it."

I certainly think it's right up there too, although John Higgins's 9-2 destruction of O'Sullivan in the 2005 Grand Prix final ranks alongside it for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with both of those matches.

Apart from those matches I posted in the last piece, I also remember O'Sullivan taking apart Drago in round 2 at Sheffield in 1996.

Such was his authority he won the match with a whole session to spare - 13-3.

Thanks, Joe